Be careful regarding what you may find
on the internet particularly youtube; there are some contributors there
who have uploaded enthusiastic playing of hymns yet their playing
renders the hymn virtually unsingable - usually for the following
- Over-legato playing so the rhythm is
- Shortening rests and long held notes
to less (sometimes far less) than their written value,
- Very long pauses at the end of
- Undefined silent breaks between
- Simply getting the music wrong.
Look at these videos and listen
carefully and imagine that you are trying to sing the hymn concerned. I
have commented on one contributor's playing suggesting positive ways
forward but to little or no avail!